Thursday, October 6, 2011

Rule 2 – Protect your name and reputation; they are the most valuable assets you have.

Wilson” is the seventh most common name in the United States. There have been “Wilsons” that were Presidents and “Wilsons” that were prisoners. (There are many more of the latter than the former.)  That said, my father placed a great value on his family name and his personal reputation. He was extremely cautious about his name and reputation, with a strong tendency to defend family honor at every opportunity.

Dad repeatedly warned my brothers and I while growing up about tarnishing the family name, both for him and for us. He knew how valuable that was. Bud realized that his reputation opened doors for him and gave him opportunity. His name was trusted; and he was aware and watchful of that fact. He could be a little hard on us at times, but he had high expectations for us. Even now, I ask myself if I’m carrying on the family name in the way he would have been proud of.

Bud had the kind of name that meant he could walk into the office of any bank president in town and get a loan with a handshake, details to be worked out later. He had the kind of reputation that made local politicians seek him out for endorsement in the community. I have seen influential men come to him privately for trusted and confidential counsel. He was once approached about running for political office, but declined. A couple of years ago, I was talking to one of the local funeral directors about Dad, and he misted up, telling me how much he missed my father. When you bring a tear to the undertaker’s eye, you know you’ve made an impact. You don’t get that kind of name and reputation without being proud of it and protecting it.

Dad once lifted the chin of my son, who was about five and very bashful at the time, and told him in a very serious tone, “Raise your head up, Chief; you’re a Wilson. You don’t have anything to hold your head down for.” That attitude was forged subconsciously in our family, and incidentally, my boy never forgot it, either. Likewise, that attitude got handed down to my daughter as well. She developed a personality within our community that transcended the family name, even while she was only in high school. Many people in town knew her simply as “Lindsey Jo”; and she worked hard to keep a reputation of virtue and integrity. Now, she is just as conscientious for her husband and the family name they are forging and I am proud of them both.

If this attitude seems like sinful pride, please understand that it isn’t. It is scriptural, and understanding the value of a name and reputation is pervasive throughout the Bible. God’s people have always understood the power and value in a name and a reputation. God repeatedly warned Israel about their actions “in His name”, recognized as “His people”. Back then, your name and reputation defined who you were, realistically and prophetically. They still do; people just don’t realize it.

Solomon says in Proverbs that “a good name is rather to be chosen than great riches”, and looking around, it’s easy to see why. Some of the most fabulously famous celebrities of our time have names and reputations so marked with scandal and debauchery, that most of us would have nothing to do with them.

For example, Bernie Madoff once had a name and reputation as being one of the most trusted investors in the world, until he “Madoff” with billions of other people’s money. Now, most folks wouldn’t buy a stick of gum from him. If he were given early release today, he could probably never get a job. Who would trust him? His actions ruined his name and his life; not only his, but his entire family. His own son committed suicide rather than live with the shame of his father’s actions.

Conversely, I can say I’ve always been proud to be my father’s son. Even though Dad’s been gone for over nine years now, I still get identified with him. Since I bear some resemblance to him, it’s not unusual for someone that doesn’t even know me to say, “I know you’re a Wilson.” As recently as this week, someone called me “Bud”.  That’s fine by me. Even though I’ve lived long enough to make my own name in this world, I’m glad to be associated with his. He worked hard to protect it; I’m honored to preserve it. Proverbs also says, “A righteous man leaves an inheritance for his children’s children.” That’s not just money; that’s a reputation worth more than gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment